No announcement yet.

Write a letter to NPS and tell them!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Write a letter to NPS and tell them!!!!

At last night's Buxton meeting with NPS about 75 folks or so showed up. Mostly locals but all of us on the same page. We want more access. Dave Hallac, the park superintendent did a good job of presenting and talking and excusing NPS. The main thrust of the meeting over and over came back to how many letters the other side has generated on this issue. So, a bunch of rings through their nose environmentalist led by multi millionaire lobbyist are now going to rule the National Park Service simply by filling out form letters. Not on my watch.

You have until March 16 to write a letter. The easiest way is to go to NPS's PEPC website and do it by email.

http://www.parkplanning.nps.gov?docu...rojectID=59571 You can also get there by going to Island Free Press.

When you get there go to the document list and then down to alternatives and take a read. When you get ready to comment click on the Select a Document to review or the EA for the Consideration of Modifications.

I really think you have to take a look at the alternatives. I like 3 until I get to Permits and then I like 2. What nobody likes is that there is no alternative access being provided for Cape Point. Besides the fact that I think NPS is using this to dodge the fact that all of the Vehicle Free Areas are unused and too big in area and too hard to get to the real issue is Cape Point. Dave Hallac tried to ration out the fact that the hook, cove, or south side of Cape Point is a nesting site for birds the real fact is that NPS just does not want to do the right thing. The VFA on the south side is 3 miles or so long and is inaccessible except by ORV. Cape Point was closed for half of last year and mostly for one non endangered chick and then for flooding from the east side. Had we been able to come from the NPS back road to the Old Bone road and out the south beach we would have had a lot more time to fish and recreate on the Point. We would do that with absolutely no pedestrians in sight. All of the inlets and Cape Point's hook are simply unused.

To write the superintendent by mail:

Superintendent
    Cape Hatteras National Seashore
    1401 National Park Drive
    Manteo, NC 27952

I think also since we are using ORV funds to build so many parking areas for pedestrians that it is time they step up and have a permit to walk in VFAs. A $25 permit and then NPS begins to get a feel for how many folks are really using the areas and they get more money to spend on access for pedestrians instead of leaving it up to us to pay it all.

Bob Eakes

If Trump was responding to the NPS, he'd callem all nasty people and "liars". Everyone who frequents Hatteras Island 5-8 times a year knows that the vfa's are unused and have told NPS this for years, in writing, and get no feedback. Public servants simply do not have the balls to correct a very, very BAD MISTAKE. I may write "one more letter" , it just seems like a hopeless endeavor....
    1iron

Comment

Hampton meeting went much the same way.
      Cheers Ya'll

Ted A. Hamilton
      (aka Salvo Jimmy)
      Life Member of:
      NCBBA, OBPA, CHAC
      Fish Militia, Chicamacomico
      NCR&PA. Sub League
      US Sub Vets, NRA

Comment

This is the NEW link to email the letters to http://parkplanning.nps.gov/document...cumentID=70928

We would truly appreciate anyone and everyone who takes the time out of their day to write or email a letter to the NPS. Thank you to everyone who has gotten involved in this matter! The more people who become apart of this and help with this problem, the better chance we have of getting our beaches back.

Thank You
        Red Drum Tackle Team
        Last edited by RDT-Team; 03-05-2016, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RDT-Team View Post
          This is the NEW link to email the letters to http://parkplanning.nps.gov/document...cumentID=70928

We would truly appreciate anyone and everyone who takes the time out of their day to write or email a letter to the NPS. Thank you to everyone who has gotten involved in this matter! The more people who become apart of this and help with this problem, the better chance we have of getting our beaches back.

Thank You
          Red Drum Tackle Team
          Amen to that.

While it ain't exactly a majority rule voting situation, you can bet you arse that if only 5 or 6 of us comment about the need for an alternate ORV route to the Point, it will certainly never happen. If few comments are submitted you can bet NPS answer will be: Hey couldn't have been very important as we got only a few comments wanting it.
          Cheers Ya'll

Ted A. Hamilton
          (aka Salvo Jimmy)
          Life Member of:
          NCBBA, OBPA, CHAC
          NCR&PA. Sub League
          US Sub Vets, NRA

Comment

Would not this be prime time to fire up Facebook and share to every one? And then they share and so on and so forth. A nice form letter with provision for word changes would be the way to go. It's surprising how quickly a few thousand people can be drummed up.
            That's not going anywhere

Comment

Just hit the send button on my reply. Thanks Bob for posting the link. It is easy a pie!
              Repatriated Carolinian

Comment

FYI here is what I sent regarding access to the Point. If you choose to use it, please do not use it word for word as it could be discarded as "FORM LETTER" by NPS

The existing bypass to the Point should also be extended South as far as possible toward the Point. Wildlife activity or active nest(s) just South of the current bypass South end can easily close the Point to ORVs.

A provision in the rule should be provided for a temporary ORV route from the West to the Point thru that VFA, only made active if the East beach and bypass are not usable to ORVs. The provision should include both the use of Salt Pond Rd or Ramp 45 as appropriate. For example if a resource closure on the beach between Salt Pond Rd and Ramp 45 would prevent use of Ramp 45, then Salt Pond Rd could be used. Correspondingly, if a resource closure prevented use of Salt Pond Rd, then Ramp 45 could be used.

The corridor on the beach thru the VFA should not be firmly located but be flexible as to location so it could even “snake” over to the Point, sometimes using the foreshore, then the backshore, then the foreshore, etc etc to get around resource closures.

Yes I know the current wildlife situation in that area is likely to prohibit near term use, but the new buffers at least give it a better chance for use.

The provision should also include that if the route is active, it would be a priority route for morning opening.

And finally if the provision for such a temporary ORV route is provided in the rule now and down the road it can be used, we don’t have to go thru the several year process of a rule change.

Cheers Ya'll

Ted A. Hamilton
                (aka Salvo Jimmy)
                Life Member of:
                NCBBA, OBPA, CHAC
                NCR&PA. Sub League
                US Sub Vets, NRA

Comment

Just saw an obpa and NCBBA post that about 1400 comments so far are against change. Only a few hundred supporting change. Not good
                  Cheers Ya'll

Ted A. Hamilton
                  (aka Salvo Jimmy)
                  Life Member of:
                  NCBBA, OBPA, CHAC
                  NCR&PA. Sub League
                  US Sub Vets, NRA

Comment

My wife and I sent our message to NPS.

Comment

Just sent our letters off thanks Bob
                      tight lines
                      Fishing not a sport its a way of life!!!
                      Jim Molinaro
                      O B P A
                      CHAC member
                      NCBBA

Comment

The NPS needs to discount those form letters from California. I walked out the old extension road at ramp 45 on Tuesday and was not surprised to see nobody between the Point and Ramp 48 in the VFA. Granted it was a midweek afternoon, but 74 degrees and spectacular. There was one other set of fresh footprints from someone walking their dog earlier in the day. What a waste of unsued space!
                        Biggestsquid

"You fish and then you die ------ or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"

Comment

This is the last day to do this online 03/18/2016 at 11:59pm. So lets speak up people or don't complain if nothing is changed or it gets worst than it is
                          )><\\\v(*> FHB, NCBBA, & CHAC

Comment

Any updates on the state of affairs? Hoping for some good news!
                            Repatriated Carolinian

Comment

Working...
                            X