Striper Basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striper Basics

Gonna be down for T-giving, just wondering about basics for striper fishing... Other than being much colder, does it differ much from drum fishing?

I plan to use the same basic approach, throwing cut bunker (if it's available) on a heaver with a basic drum setup. I've read that they can be picky, but lower pressure can be your friend and sunny skies aren't always the best. Right now, T-giving and the day after are looking good as far as that goes. I suppose I'll either just hit the point or try to find sloughs on the north beaches... would either be better? I'd imagine it's less crowded at the Point that weekend than the end of Oct. ... Also, are there any good spots to try to cast net bunker? Is there any bunker in the wash yet? Would it be worth it to try throwing some lures and if so what kind?

Lotsa questions... thanks for any advice!

Drum don't mind rooting in the sand for a morsel. Use a longer leader for Striper, say 6" instead of the 1" used for drum.
    longcaster

Some is Good.
    More is Better.
    Too much is Just Right!

NCBBA life # 5010
    Member O.B.P.A.
    Member (free agent) O.F.F.H.
    NAFC life
    CHAc

Comment

tying my striper rigs as we speak......6" leader is dead on.....try to get your hands on some live eels.....i like to have one out there midrang with live eel.....one LONG cast with cut bunker....and another hand thrown into the wash on my stump heaver with cut mullet usually...and I mean RIGHT AT YOUR FEET....12oz weight 6" leader 6/0 VMC's are what i use for hooks......u would fish say oh about a .6 mi north of the entrance to ramp 23 if you can get there....plug away with mirrolures....the majority of stripers were caught last year on trout rods....we caught em rodanthe doing the stump heaver trick....hope this helps.......btw, I'll be down thanksgiving day thru sunday
      "It's not about the destination, it's about the journey."

Comment

Live eel rig

Not sure how good this works but this is what I'm thinking about trying when I come down later in the year.

http://www.hatterasoutfitters.com/eelrig.htm
        OBPA Member
        NCBBA Member: 13456
        CHAC Member: 1715

Comment

LOL "Bow to the Cow"
          "It's not about the destination, it's about the journey."

Comment

Originally posted by longcaster View Post
            Drum don't mind rooting in the sand for a morsel. Use a longer leader for Striper, say 6" instead of the 1" used for drum.
            Would you still just make it up like a cannon rig?

And you mean 6' instead of 1' don't you? I don't think ever seen a 1" leader. That'd be hard to tie the knots. (hey I'm a carpenter, I notice little things like that!)
            "I'm Dennis A. Gray and I approve this message"
            -Denny in Dayton
            O.B.P.A member
            CHAC member

Comment

One inch leaders are common for people fishing the cannonball rig for drum (the bait almost touches the sinker when you have the line tight, and "leader" length is really the length of the hook shank more than anything).

Heck, I like a short 3 inch leader on a regular fishfinder rig for drum (I could tie a shorter snell than that if I really had too, but I like it when if a fish swallows my bait I still have the heavy leader material rubbing against the lips instead of shock leader). Anything longer kills distance.

Plus, who said anything about tieing knots? Some people use crimps...

Comment

Denny, I didn't say it wrong. Snell the hook with 100lb or 125lb test mono, crimp a swivel on with a short 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", or 1 inch of mono between the hook & the bottom of the crimp. I know one person who has forsaken the mono trace altogether and just "split-rings" to hook to a swivel. This rig is tied to a shock leader where the weight slide is.
                longcaster

Some is Good.
                More is Better.
                Too much is Just Right!

NCBBA life # 5010
                Member O.B.P.A.
                NAFC life
                CHAc

Comment

Thanks...

...for the thoughts. I have some steel shark rigs I did at about 6", I may just use those. JPLZ, that eel live line looks like a cannonball setup but I wouldn't think the eel would do very well with a lead on the leader. I suppose you could ease it out there with a 10 oz. lead on 17" running line, but I wouldn't want to whip it... whip it good, without a shocker on there.

Where can you find live eels? Ya think RDT will have bunker in two weeks?

Comment

A live eel hooked thru the head and anchored to the bottom will tangle up a rig and put so much slime on it, you might just cut it off and throw it away.

Fish a live eel as a slow moving lure, very slow.

If you want to fish a live eel anchored, hook it thru the tail. It will swim away from the sinker and not tangle. But, this is a big but, if it get a hit, free the line, no preasure at all while the fish eats the eel working itself to the tail where the hook is. You must resist the strike when you first feel a fish.

I spent many years learning this, I pulled many tail hooked eels out of a fishes mouth with bite marks almost to the hook.
                    longcaster

Some is Good.
                    More is Better.
                    Too much is Just Right!

NCBBA life # 5010
                    Member O.B.P.A.
                    NAFC life
                    CHAc

Comment

Originally posted by jpledzep View Post
                      not sure how good this works but this is what i'm thinking about trying when i come down later in the year.

http://www.hatterasoutfitters.com/eelrig.htm
                      uh oh.....
                      JB

Comment

I get what you are saying, I looked at it quickly and thought you were talking about the length of the rig. I see you are talking about the hook offset. On one hand it seemed to short, then too long.
                        "I'm Dennis A. Gray and I approve this message"
                        -Denny in Dayton
                        O.B.P.A member
                        CHAC member

Comment

One more thing on fish vision that also might help. This according to research done by VA Inst of Marine Science

Striper vision seems tuned to see large quick prey in daylight particularly in yellow and green. So in clear water in the day something in yellow and/or green seems to be best.

At night the prey becomes blurred and blue/purple is what they see best. So at night, low light or murky water it seems to be blue/purple.

Drum fishing seems generally best at night or certainly in low light and/or murky water.

The same research shows that Drum vision is tuned to see slow small prey at night in generally blue and purple. They also have good ultraviolet vision which helps them distinguish dark and light prey in dim light. Sunlight however can damage their ultraviolet vision so in daylight they would tend to go to deeper water.

For stripers I have been using the longer leader as Jim (LC) points out but putting a fireball type float on it in green or yellow in the day and purple at night.

As Jim further point out stripers don't generally root around on the bottom like drum, so the float gets the bait up off the bottom.

Rumor has it Wheat is trying to clone a purple bunker.
                          Cheers Ya'll

Ted A. Hamilton
                          (aka Salvo Jimmy)
                          Life Member of:
                          NCBBA, OBPA, CHAC
                          Fish Militia, Chicamacomico
                          NCR&PA. Sub League
                          US Sub Vets, NRA

Comment

One other thing on basics

Generally, surf temps in the range of 45 - 55F seem to give the best probability for stripers. 'Course bait in the water is generally a good thing also. And it seems gannets over bait are a better indicator of the convicts than gulls, why I don't know. Maybe because gannets tend to dive into the water where gulls sort of skim stuff off the top. So maybe gannets are smart enough to not tangle with a big blue "piranha".
                            Cheers Ya'll

Ted A. Hamilton
                            (aka Salvo Jimmy)
                            Life Member of:
                            NCBBA, OBPA, CHAC
                            Fish Militia, Chicamacomico
                            NCR&PA. Sub League
                            US Sub Vets, NRA

Comment

Okay, so I get the feeling from the replies that the eel rig I referred to is not the best method to try. I assumed there would be no wait added to rig as shown in the illustration. I figured a 12"+ eel would have enough weight to cast out like a spoon on a 3-6 oz rod. Reel it in slow like it said and hope for the best. I guess if there is a live eel on the line and I'm fishing in a crowd, the eel could swim the line across a few folks.
                              OBPA Member
                              NCBBA Member: 13456
                              CHAC Member: 1715

Comment

Working...
                              X