Drum bait?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum bait?

Been after a big drum for the last couple years but havent had much luck. I was curious to what type cut bait is the best or what types everyone has had the best luck with. Ive always just bought bunker and typically use the heads. Also how do you guys and gals rig the bait? I just run a circle hook up through the mouth and out the top of the head. Right, wrong, dosent matter?

In terms of rig...this thread discusses it, with good feedback from board members:
    http://forum.reddrumtackle.com/showthread.php?t=14957

Rigging the actual bait, this seems to be a pretty decent diagram (sharp knife is key!):
    http://www.hatterasoutfitters.com/faq_baitprep.htm
    Member NCBBA, OBPA, CHAC

Comment

Fatback

Never forget the time a friend of mine was given some bait by a person leaving the beach who had never fished the OBX much.

Amidst the mullet was a huge slab of fatback -- pork that is. Someone had told him that that fatback was a great bait. No one mentioned that it was also a slang term for menhaden. Hilarious.
      Member: OBPA, NCBBA #5909, CCA-NC

Comment

Now thats funny!!! I dont care who you are!! Hey they might of been onto something!! LOL!! You just never know!

Comment

I've caught more big drum on the head of a freshly caught seamullet than anything else. A seamullet about 10", cut diagonaly to leave guts in, hooked through the mouth and out the top of the skull. Dink blues wont get it off the hook and rays won't bother it as much as a bunker chunk.

Been my experience.
          I don't fish because I want to, I fish because I HAVE to!

Moma tried real hard.

Long days and short nights make you old.

Comment

In 1979 I was just getting into Drum fishing and had spent some time on the beach. I spoke with a guy who at the time looked like he knew what he was doing. I asked him about bait and he told me that “ Fat Buck” was absolutely the way to go. Now you have to understand that I am a scrapple eaten redneck from Pennsylvania. Fat back was something we made every year at butcher time. We alwayse kill at least two hogs at Thanksgiving.
            At any rate I loaded up with some fat back and proceeded to the point next fall armed with the best bait you can get for drum. Once there I watched what everyone else was using in the way of tackle and bait. At this time I knew absolutely nothing about a fish finder or even a three way set up. I approached one fellow and asked about his set up. He told me that I would need a couple of things before I was ready to fish. At that point he tied a shock leader on for me (don’t remember what weight and it wouldn’t have mattered at the time anyway) I was anxious to be of help to this kind fellow so I asked him if he wanted some fat back. His reply was that he had plenty but was glad to hear I had the right stuff. I then proceeded to hook up a huge chunk of Pennsylvania “ Fat Back “ and marched off towards the point. I hadn’t made more than a couple of steps when my mentor asked, “ What in the hell have you got on that hook”
            Over the years I have met some of the most down to earth folks while fishing. This guy busted up when I told him what I had. By the end of an hour he had given me the basics of casting and what North Carolina coastal version Fat Back really was. I spoke with him several times before he passed on in the early nineties and to this day will never forget the guy who was willing to take the time to help out a real “First Timer”! Thanks to all who take the time to teach!
            Just do it!!

Comment

I have had pretty good luck with spot, I would use it before bunker, mullet, seamullet.... Cut spanish is nice, just dont get caught with anything less than a whole fish in your cooler. Sinner likes to cut their tails off, keep him away.....

Comment

I'm no local, but I always scour the island for bunker when I'm fishing down there. That's even if the fingers are in the surf. I've just always had good luck with it, and it's my go to bait that I have confidence in. Now, on the other hand, it's not increased my hook ups nor decreased them while in a blitz. But look out if I catch the first one of the night! You wouldn't believe what guys have offered for a chunk or two after I caught the first one of the night. The last time I was down, I fished all night with Sarge, and we done very well with about ten fish in a few hours all above 35 inches. I was fishing with bunker, he had mullet. I caught the first couple, and I could see his wheels turning. He stuck with the mullet though, and they averaged out for the rest of the night. I caught five fish that night, and it's one of the best nights I've ever had. Sarge even got to calling me "absolute Ohio" for my home state and my rod of choice. ha ha ha

Comment

Boxlock:

I just had Diet Dr. Pepper shoot up my nose when I lauhged so hard at your post.
                  BIRD WATCHERS DON'T SURF OR SURF FISH

Comment

Jeez, cut the tails off of two spanish and he gets all cranky. Leave em in my cooler and it's your risk.

I like to "cone" bunker heads. Take a nice sharp serrated knive and cut off the bottom jaw. This cuts down on the extra stuff that don't do much for you, and keeps the mouth form scooping water and dragging your weight off the bottom. If the doggies aren't thick I just like little chunks of fatback for bait. Seamullte heads and spot heads and whole "candy bar" blues are all good bait.

Comment

Any fresh that you can get your hands on. But distance is the key. The guys that cast the furthest at the point, catches more fish than other guys. That's from watching the guys that hooks up more often. Not me. I was counting becuase I didn't hook up.

Comment

Keeping bait:

1. Never, Never, (did I say NEVER) let the water in yer cooler get on your bait.
                        2. Bait should have clear eyes and pink gills. (Don't matter the type, it gotta be fresh)
                        3. Buy a pair of oversized scissors, Makes cutting bait, coning heads and getting broke pull tabs on yer beer outta the way. Serrated knife is fine, I get taught on scissors, so that's what I use.
                        4. Did I mention not to let the cooler water get on your bait?
                        5. Some folks "Brine" the bait. Layer Fresh bait, Ice, Bait, Ice, Bait etc to top. Get immediately to beach. Use mixed drink cup (Best device for this) to get fresh saltwater, pour over bait. Let sit for an hour or so, open drain on cooler. Leave Drain open. DO NOT LET FRESH WATER GET ON BAIT (Did I mention that??)
                        6. Use fresh bait. The Drum are used to it, and do not like 4 day old musty stinky bait.

It's fun to cast net, or to catch yer own bait. Take shrimp (From RDT) peel and lay on cutting board until it dries slightly (makes it tougher) use 2 hook sea striker rig from RDT. Catch mullets and spots. Use heads for drum and bodies for belly.

Catch them all.
                        Last edited by Custer; 09-24-2008, 03:23 PM.
                        Custer
                        Time spent negotiateing with the enviro-whackos is time wasted.

It is a harsh war, and only harsh actions can provide victory. Negotiation is not an option.

Comment

I love to hear that...

Originally posted by boxlock View Post
                          In 1979 I was just getting into Drum fishing and had spent some time on the beach. I spoke with a guy who at the time looked like he knew what he was doing. I asked him about bait and he told me that “ Fat Buck” was absolutely the way to go. Now you have to understand that I am a scrapple eaten redneck from Pennsylvania. Fat back was something we made every year at butcher time. We alwayse kill at least two hogs at Thanksgiving.
                          At any rate I loaded up with some fat back and proceeded to the point next fall armed with the best bait you can get for drum. Once there I watched what everyone else was using in the way of tackle and bait. At this time I knew absolutely nothing about a fish finder or even a three way set up. I approached one fellow and asked about his set up. He told me that I would need a couple of things before I was ready to fish. At that point he tied a shock leader on for me (don’t remember what weight and it wouldn’t have mattered at the time anyway) I was anxious to be of help to this kind fellow so I asked him if he wanted some fat back. His reply was that he had plenty but was glad to hear I had the right stuff. I then proceeded to hook up a huge chunk of Pennsylvania “ Fat Back “ and marched off towards the point. I hadn’t made more than a couple of steps when my mentor asked, “ What in the hell have you got on that hook”
                          Over the years I have met some of the most down to earth folks while fishing. This guy busted up when I told him what I had. By the end of an hour he had given me the basics of casting and what North Carolina coastal version Fat Back really was. I spoke with him several times before he passed on in the early nineties and to this day will never forget the guy who was willing to take the time to help out a real “First Timer”! Thanks to all who take the time to teach!
                          To me,that's one of the great things about this passion of ours,passing the knowledge on to other folks who are willing to learn.
                          As for me,it is usually whatever is the freshest,although I will admit I have caught on rotten bunker when there was no fresh. Drum are usually not picky,how do you think they got so big? Usually what gives off the most smell will do the trick. Spot heads,sea monkey heads,bunker,cob heads,they all will work if you get it to the dining table. Personally I have always preferred a cob head; stays on when the nibblers are feeding,and it throws pretty good.
                          One more thing. I never leave home without a package of frozen fingers or cobs that have been vacuum packed,just in case there is no fresh on the island. Hope this helps.
                          JB

Comment

WOW!! I really appreciate all the responses so far. You guys ROCK! Hey Custer and Sinner you both mentioned coning the heads. Is that just referring to cutting off the bottom jaw? And I guess Custer that letting your bait getting exposed to fresh water will take away the "briny flavor" of the bait? Seems to that all bait including shrimp gets soggy when it has been in fresh water. So should i let the cooler water get into the bait or not Custer?! Ive had others say that you should scale whatever cut bait your throwing. Seems like all that does is allow easier hook penetration when putting it on. You guys ever fool with that?

Comment

Coning is just cutting off the bottom jaw and the bottom of the gill plate. Done right, the bottom of the bait is the roof of the bunkers mouth. Makes it a nice neat little cone shape that throws better and the mouth cant fall open. Hook thru the roof of the mouth out the top of the head between the eyes. If you use thick wire circles, you can hook in one eye and out the other.

Fresh water lets the bait soften up and get mushy. Kinda the reverse of brining. You can tell the difference between sound caught bait and ocean caught bait by the firmness of the flesh. The fresh water also robs your bait of the blood and oils that make the scent trail.

Comment

Working...
                              X