X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren Judge addresses US senate subcommitee

Chairman Judge to address US Senate Subcommittee
    regarding beach closings in Cape Hatteras National Seashore

Dare County Commission Chairman Warren Judge will address the United States Senate Energy and Natural Resources Subcommittee on National Parks Wednesday, July 30 at the Dirksen Senate Building in Washington, D.C. to express concerns regarding the impact of beach closings.

``When our land was taken in 1952 to create the Cape Hatteras National Seashore, the Park Service Director, Conrad Wirth, gave his promise that access to those beaches would never be denied.’’ commented Judge. ``I hope to convey to our elected officials the harmful effects these beach closings ordered by a judge have had on our economy and our trust of government,’’

The beach closures issue will be one of many that will be discussed at the session that begins at 2:30 p.m. Interested persons can watch the hearings on the internet by going to http://energy.senate.gov and clicking on ``live webcast’’ on the left side of the page. Anyone who chooses to watch the live webcast is asked to be patient. The video stream often takes several minutes to begin. Viewers should also keep in mind that other items are being discussed, so the beach driving discussion may not begin until later in the hearing. Dare County will put a link on its website, www.darenc.com, and will replay the hearings on Cable Channel 20 MAGIC government access. Broadcast times will be listed on the channel and on the Dare County website.

The beach closures were a result of a lawsuit filed by environmental groups to protect certain endangered species along the shoreline.

Dare County has maintained that cooperation with the National Park Service over the past several decades, together with the Interim Protected Species Management Plan adopted by the Park Service in 2007,has created a safe environment for these species with signs that these species have been flourishing, while still providing access to the beaches and traditional fishing areas. Environmental groups filed suit and obtained a far reaching order resulting in closure of the most popular beaches and traditional fishing areas in the Seashore until a permanent plan regulating beach vehicular and pedestrian use could be agreed upon by all parties concerned.

The magnitude of the beach closures has wreaked havoc on the area economy which depends heavily on vacationers who are electing not to visit the Outer Banks because they cannot use the beaches for such recreational activities as fishing, swimming, surfing and bird watching.

Judge will speak to the economic hardship caused by the federal judge’s decision and also speak to the fact that the judge made that decision without a public hearing or discussion.

Senators Elizabeth Dole and Richard Burr and Congressman Walter Jones introduced legislation in June that returns management of the beach environment to the way it was regulated prior to the judge’s order, until a permanent plan can be put in place.

In a statement released at that time, Jones commented, ``The consent decree has once again shown that managing the Seashore through the courts – without public input – is always a bad idea. This bill would restore reasonable public access and would bring the public back into the process on a level playing field…’’

The subcommittee will conduct hearings on a variety of topics. The exact time of the beach closures issue discussion has not been determined.
    "If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Good news, I hope. I wonder who else will speak?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comment

Excellent.

I intend to be at the hearing in the area for the public to sit.

Tight Lines.
      Saltylines

CHAC - Life Member
      IGFA

Comment

Good to see some forward movement. Keep the letters and calls going though. We need to keep the pressure up.

Comment

Fact Sheet

I hope someone with the know how can get the committee members a fact sheet so when Derb Carter speaks every member can rebut his statements or at the least see the many wrongs that have been done to us.

Comment

bump

bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump 10 right

Comment

House Committee on Natural Resources

Good Morning............

I finall received a reply to my letter from my Congressman Bill Shuster. He is a member of this committee and plans to attend. quote" Please be assured, I will keep your views in mind should this legislation come before me in the Committee or for a vote in the full House of Representatives".

Still nothing from Sen. Spector or Casey from PA....
              None of us is as good as all of us!, Ray Kroc founder of McDonalds

Comment

Originally posted by SEA MULLET View Post
                I hope someone with the know how can get the committee members a fact sheet so when Derb Carter speaks every member can rebut his statements or at the least see the many wrongs that have been done to us.
                I also hope that in the fact sheet, it raises the question on the following:

1) It's OK to move turtle nests inside PINWR which is under ESA law, in addition, start dumping 650,000 cubic yards of sand starting Aug 15th during prime turtle hatching season

2) It's NOT OK to move/relocate turtle nests inside the CHNSRA designated "Recreational Area's" per the enabling legislation for the enjoyment of the people, in addition, start Full Beach closures (already have at Ramp 34, Ramp 49, soon to be Ramp 44, etc....., especially starting September 15th)

This is being managed by USFWS and NPS who falls under DOI, this sort of policy is not consistant, makes no sense, and is grossly prejudiced against the Public

This needs to be brought up
                "People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society. WINNING is not everything, but WANTING to WIN is. In great attempts, it is glorious even to fail provided the TEAM has worked their heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle." - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I havn't got SQUAT back from Casey or Spector either,if they can't find the time to have one of their peons reply I will remeber this when it comes time not re-elect them.
                  "Gimme oysters and beer for dinner everyday of the year and I'll be fine"

OBPA member
                  NCBBA member
                  CHAC member

Comment

Originally posted by SEA MULLET View Post
                    Amen !!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    What if I say I'm not like the others? What if I say I'm not just another one of your fakes? Your the pretender! What if I say that I'll never surrender? Who are you?

Memebr of:
                    DMS
                    DSC
                    AMSA
                    NCBBA
                    OBPA
                    CHAC
                    UMS Delegate

Comment

Witnesses and Panel Members...I hope Derb Carter gets laryngitis!

Witnesses

Panel 1
                      The Honorable Carl Levin , US Senate
                      The Honorable Hillary Clinton , US Senator
                      The Honorable Elizabeth Dole , US Senator
                      The Honorable John Dingell , US House of Representatives

Panel 2
                      Daniel Wenk , Deputy Director for operations, National Park Service, Department of the Interior
                      Joel Holtrop , Deputy Chief, National Forest Service

Panel 3
                      The Honorable Warren Judge , Chairman, Dare County Board of Commissioners
                      Derb Carter , Director, Carolinas Office, Southern Environmental Law Center
                      Coline Jenkins , President, Elizabeth Cady Stanton Trust
                      William Braunlich , President, Monroe County Historical Society
                      Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comment

Maybe this:

Hook him up to a lie detector machine and see what HAPPENS!!!

Comment

What is that we think Hillary Clinton will say?? or which side will she be on?
                          What a sad state of affairs... And it's all about the eco lawyers getting their payday!

Semper Fidelis
                          OBPA Member / NCBBA 12458 / CHAC

Comment

Business engagement prevented my attending the Senate hearing Weds. However, I did get over to the House side on Tuesday afternoon. Folks there indicated the problem may well be in getting the legislation up for a vote in the House. This possibility was noted in the letter from Cong. Foxx posted on these boards a little while back.

Thus, the legislation may have to be reintroduced in January and the process restarted. Meanwhile the mess continues.

However, IMO, the enemy needs to be at the receiving end of a lawsuit -- a class action of some kind -- if the lawyers can do it. This would have national consequences for the radical environmentalists who, as we have seen, are doing damage across the country to local communities, not just to OBX. Maybe other communities would join in or take note and file their own class action suits. This is going to be a long fight and our side needs to draw some blood at some point.
                            Saltylines

CHAC - Life Member
                            IGFA

Comment

Originally posted by saltylines View Post
                              Business engagement prevented my attending the Senate hearing Weds. However, I did get over to the House side on Tuesday afternoon. Folks there indicated the problem may well be in getting the legislation up for a vote in the House. This possibility was noted in the letter from Cong. Foxx posted on these boards a little while back.

Thus, the legislation may have to be reintroduced in January and the process restarted. Meanwhile the mess continues.

However, IMO, the enemy needs to be at the receiving end of a lawsuit -- a class action of some kind -- if the lawyers can do it. This would have national consequences for the radical environmentalists who, as we have seen, are doing damage across the country to local communities, not just to OBX. Maybe other communities would join in or take note and file their own class action suits. This is going to be a long fight and our side needs to draw some blood at some point.

Absolutely this business of constantly being on the defense is BULL. We need to take the offence and run right at em!!
                              Just do it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X