Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHNS ORV permit display rules?

I came across this dated May/2016: Obstructions

North Carolina has the following restrictions in place to make sure that drivers can see clearly while driving:
    • Posters, signs and non transparent coverings are not permitted on or in the windshield.
    • Inspection stickers and others that are required by law must be affixed in the lower corner of the windshield that is farthest from the driver.
    The proof of permit rules say it must be affixed using tape, to the inside of the driver's side windshield, and that it's not valid unless affixed and properly displayed.

An obvious contradiction. I haven't been able to find the actual NC DOT regulations on the matter. I did read a Federal regulation about a 4 1/2" height above the bottom of the windshield, but that was a Fed Motor Carrier ruling.

Can anyone add to this discrepancy, or point me to what is really being done, and/or being enforced?

TIA

I've been placing my annual in the lower corner of driver's side as far down as possible, but so it is still totally visible from the outside since the permit has been required. Never had a problem. Besides in that position it only blocks my view of the hood near the windshield.
    Cheers Ya'll

Ted A. Hamilton
    (aka Salvo Jimmy)
    Life Member of:
    NCBBA, OBPA, CHAC
    Fish Militia, Chicamacomico
    NCR&PA. Sub League
    US Sub Vets

Comment

Thanx SJ.

I have no trouble mounting the permit according to NPS instructions. What I'd like to know is why NPS says lower left of inside windshield, and NC law seemingly requiring stickers in a lower corner that is farthest from the driver, which would be on the right side. If I could find that law, it would help.

Comment

I I thought you could not use tape???

Comment

Originally posted by DE Joe View Post
          I I thought you could not use tape???
          Correct. It has to be affixed with the adhesive on the permit. It is vehicle specific so tape would allow it to be used on multiple vehicles.
          Cheers Ya'll

Ted A. Hamilton
          (aka Salvo Jimmy)
          Life Member of:
          NCBBA, OBPA, CHAC
          NCR&PA. Sub League
          US Sub Vets

Comment

I neglected to mention that I applied for a 10-day permit, which may have caused some confusion here.

Found this summary statement regarding NC windshield sticker laws - "Prohibited, except those required by law or approved by commissioner." Doesn't distinguish between 10-day, or 30-day annual paper permits, or permanent decals. Either way, funny how some interests obtain special approval that flies in the face of a law.

Reckon that approval also pertains to non-transparent stickers, right (passenger) side mounting vs left (driver) side mounting, and distance from the top of the sticker to the where the windshield meets the dash, and width of the sticker,

"Must be affixed using tape" is printed on the 10-day paper permit printed online.

A paper proof of permit is valid for annual permits up to 30 days. An annual decal is a permanent decal which must be affixed immediately upon receipt.

I was only trying to make sure that I would be within the limits of the law with a 10-day proof-of-permit paper display. If I leave the boundaries of the Nat'l Seashore I'll probably remove that permit from my windshield, to avoid any nonsense from outside jurisdictions.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BigWillJ View Post
              I neglected to mention that I applied for a 10-day permit, which may have caused some confusion here.

Found this summary statement regarding NC windshield sticker laws - "Prohibited, except those required by law or approved by commissioner." Doesn't distinguish between 10-day, or 30-day annual paper permits, or permanent decals. Either way, funny how some interests obtain special approval that flies in the face of a law.

Reckon that approval also pertains to non-transparent stickers, right (passenger) side mounting vs left (driver) side mounting, and distance from the top of the sticker to the where the windshield meets the dash, and width of the sticker,

"Must be affixed using tape" is printed on the 10-day paper permit printed online.

A paper proof of permit is valid for annual permits up to 30 days. An annual decal is a permanent decal which must be affixed immediately upon receipt.

I was only trying to make sure that I would be within the limits of the law with a 10-day proof-of-permit paper display. If I leave the boundaries of the Nat'l Seashore I'll probably remove that permit from my windshield, to avoid any nonsense from outside jurisdictions.

Thanks.
              Just curious how big the paper 10 day permit is compared to my annual which is about 3 X 6 inches.
              Cheers Ya'll

Ted A. Hamilton
              (aka Salvo Jimmy)
              Life Member of:
              NCBBA, OBPA, CHAC
              NCR&PA. Sub League
              US Sub Vets

Comment

About the same - 3 1/2 x 6 7/8.

Comment

Originally posted by BigWillJ View Post
                  About the same - 3 1/2 x 6 7/8.
                  So it should fit just like an annual with no visibility problems. I've never had a problem with my annual over 5 yrs regardless of jurisdiction. If I did I'd just show the LEO the NPS rule on placement.
                  Cheers Ya'll

Ted A. Hamilton
                  (aka Salvo Jimmy)
                  Life Member of:
                  NCBBA, OBPA, CHAC
                  NCR&PA. Sub League
                  US Sub Vets

Comment

Thanx for sharing your experience S J.

So we're clear on this - visibility doesn't concern me. The occasional rogue LEO does. As I said above, mine will be mounted per NPS instructions. Trying not to sound paranoid, I'm simply speaking to the law, and from experience on motor vehicle court matters. Like you, I'm always prepared by having any and all paperwork at hand.

Comment

Working...
                    X