Thread: cut bait/ finger Mullet

Herndon VA, before that spent 10 years in Bozeman MT

cut bait/ finger Mullet

What do people use more, only really used corncob size mullet (cut bait) what about the finger mullet and if so, what's the best way to place the finger mullet on your hook,
    Last edited by 6ozormore; 10-04-2008 at 11:33 PM.

Southern Shores NC. just past the Wright Mem. Bridge
    Fingers can be cut diagonal to make 2 baits. Slant the cut from the top angling toward the bottom cutting the bait into 2 equal pieces. Hook the head from the bottom up between the eyes. Cut the tail from the second piece, and run the hook once from one side to the other, Never run a hook back through a second time, it will cause it to spin when it is cast and when it sits on the bottom.
    longcaster

Some is Good.
    More is Better.
    Too much is Just Right!

NCBBA life # 5010
    Member O.B.P.A.
    Member (free agent) O.F.F.H.
    NAFC life
    CHAc

finger mullet work great in a lot of situations... I like using finger mullet on a bluefish rig... the kind with the bobber and removable double hook. Absolute killer on the blues.
    What a sad state of affairs... And it's all about the eco lawyers getting their payday!

Semper Fidelis
    OBPA Member / NCBBA 12458 / CHAC

actually

that would be a mullet rig as its called but Snag is right, it's killer on blues and possibly pups and sometimes drum will take em I'm told.
    Basically a float with a wire you run through the mullet with 2/3 of a trebel hook hidden against the body of the bait.
    Very effective
    "Smart is the man who has nothing to say and cant be persuaded to say it".....................Ben Franklin

OBPA Board of Directors and Member (Lifetime)
    CHAC Member 0974 (Lifetime)
    NCBBA Member 13892

Little tip on the mullet rigs...

Keep some bread ties or twist ties in your tackle box and tie the shank of the hook to the body of the mullet at the narrow part before the tail. That keeps the short strikers from working the hook off, causing you to loose your bait. I seem to have best luck with the ones with a green float (blues) or red float (pups).
    One taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.

I thought Snagster was talking about a Hatteras Bug or Doodle Bug rig. When I do use a bug rig, I fillet the finger. If I use fingers for drum (means I can't get bunker or mullet/whiting heads), I will switch between what Longcaster said and fillet some of the larger fingers.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways with your waders on, beer in one hand, fishing rod in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Wheat..
    Thanks for correcting me... you are right it is a mullet rig.

How does the twister tie come into play... I did not quite understand...

Snag... out...
    What a sad state of affairs... And it's all about the eco lawyers getting their payday!

Semper Fidelis

Twister tie on the mullet rig...

keeps the little blues from working the two-prong hook off the wire of the rig. Basically, you stick the wire through the mouth and out the vent. Then you slip the two-prong hook through the wire loop and embed the top prong in the mullet. The other prong should stick out straight below, kinda like a rigged ballyhoo. Use the tie wrap as "insurance" wrapped around the body of the fish at the narrow part where the hook is embedded. Some guys use wire ties, but I like the twister ties better because they conform to the body of the fish.

The blues up here in DE and down in Hatteras have gotten smart enough to work the hook off the back when nipping at the finger. Then, you reel in a float with a wire and no bait and no fish. Do this enough and you have plenty of mullet rigs but no hooks.

Also, when rigged this way, not necessary to jerk to set the hook for blues. When you feel the bite, just put a little tension on and keep reeling and you will hook up as the blue keeps biting at the mullet. You can fill a cooler this way when you find a good hole.

Another way to use finger mullet on a two-hook bottom rig such as a toothpick rig (short, cylinder-shaped floats) or a torpedo rig (cigar floats) is to cut the head off and slice an inch or so down the backbone like you are going to filet, but leave the meat attached to flap around. Hook through the side that isn't cut. You will kill the blues this way, I think they like the motion of the bait. I have also caught pups this way.
    One taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by 525mag View Post
    Use the tie wrap as "insurance" wrapped around the body of the fish at the narrow part where the hook is embedded. Some guys use wire ties, but I like the twister ties better because they conform to the body of the fish.

I don't get it man??? Sorry to be so thick headed about this... maybe I should have a few beers and then I might understand... Are you putting the tie on the fish or the hook?

Uhhh.. Bueler.. Bueler... ??

Snag.. out.

Semper Fidelis

Maybe this will help

You are correct, I have several of these with lost hooks! Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by susanobx; 10-07-2008 at 05:29 AM.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

RDT has....

replacement hooks of all sizes for that type rig.

Bluefishj
    PEACE.....Through Superior Firepower